Yaniv Train Station

Железнодорожная станция Янов

Before the Chernobyl disaster, this station belonged to the Southwestern Railways. It was mainly a freight station and shunting yard. But the station also had a platform for passenger trains. It was also part of the long-distance express train MoscowKhmelnytskyi.

The station, built in 1925, is located on the Chernigov-Ovruch railway near the city of Pripyat in Ukraine. Yaniv railway station is named after the isolated village that it once served. The village, in which about a hundred people lived, was demolished after the Chernobyl disaster.

After the disaster
During the reconstruction of the Chernigov railway line in 1986-1987, the station and the track from Yaniv to Slavutich were electrified to provide services to the Chernobyl personnel and contractors. In the 2000s one of the tracks passing through Yaniv has been upgraded. It was used during the construction work of Shelter-2, a new sarcophagus for the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant.

At the moment, the line is not used and partially dismantled. Entry to the station building is now sealed off, but the site is not completely abandoned. The station is owned by the state enterprise ‘Chernobylservis’. Also some of the old carriages are used as a home for metal workers.

The rail yard and what’s left of the platform are still accessible. There is one main railroad track, three shunting tracks and several maintenance tracks for storing old and rusty rolling stock.

Don`t copy text!